Trick-or-treaters will roam the streets of Meridian Township on Saturday, October
31st from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. To ensure the safety of all little ghouls and ghosts the Meridian Township Police Department reminds residents of “Halloween Safety.”
- Have a designated meeting place, by mapping out a safety route.
- Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk in groups or with a trusted adult.
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Use crosswalks when available.
- Light colors or reflective tape on costumes/bags to be visible to drivers.
- Only visit familiar and well-lit houses.
- Wear fitted masks, costumes and shoes to avoid blocked vision and injuries.
- Eat only unopened and originally wrapped treats.
- Encourage kids to wear comfortable shoes.
- Never enter a stranger’s home or car.
- Short costumes to prevent trips, falls and other “boo boos.”
- Always WALK and don't run from house to house.
- Flashlight usage at night. Try to get kids to trick-or-treat while it is still light out.
- Examine treats at home in a well-lighted area.
- Time limits should be set for all trick-or-treaters.
- Younger children should be accompanied by an adult
Halloween safety tips came from the National Crime Prevention Council and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.