1. Make sure your vehicle's tires have the right amount of tread.
2. Make sure your vehicle's fluids (windshield wiper fluid, antifreeze, etc.) are full.
3. Make sure your vehicle's tires have the proper amount of air in them.
4. Carry the following items in your car, so that if you do go off the road you are prepared:
- a shovel
- a tire gauge, jack, and fully inflated spare
- gravel, salt, or a small piece of carpet
- non-perishable food
- jumper cables
- emergency flares
- warm clothes or a blanket
- a first-aid kit